Monday, January 30, 2017

Names, Second Challah Cover in Process

Now these are the names of Bnei-Yisrael who came to Egypt with Jacob, each man with his family:  
Reuben, Simeon, Levi and Judah;
Issachar, Zebulun and Benjamin; Dan, Naphtali, Gad and Asher.
The souls that came out of the line of Jacob numbered 70 in all, while Joseph was already in Egypt.

---Exodus 1:1


As I spread out the 12 squares on the tatami mat and arrange them for my second challah cover, I think of this book we are in, which is Exodus, or Shemot, which is translated as `Names`...
It is the first time I have written the names (of the 12 sons of Israel)  in Hebrew.  It is exciting to learn the letters that go together to make each one. 

As  I look at the 12 squares all set out,  getting ready to embroider the letters onto the squares,
I think of our amazing Maker, the Creator of all things, and that He set out everything from the beginning. 


"For I know the plans that I have in mind for you, declares ADONAI, "plans for shalom and not calamity---to give you a future and a hope.

Then you will call on Me, and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek Me and find Me, when you will search for Me with all your heart.  Then I will be found by you," says ADONAI," and I will return you from exile, and gather you from all the nations and from all the places where I have driven you, says ADONAI, and I will bring you back to the place from which I removed you as captives into exile."   ---Jeremiah 29:11~14






Please stay tuned as the challah cover continues.  I hope to have it done before we leave the book of Exodus.  Blessings and Shalom!  Shavu`a Tov!

This week`s Torah portion is Parshat Bo, Enter!
The readings are:
Exodus 10:1 ~13:16
Jeremiah 46:13~28 (Haftarah)
Romans 9:14~29 (Brit Chadashah)


No comments:

Post a Comment