Monday, March 13, 2017

Cherry Blossom Hamentashen!



On top of both you can place a cherry blossom flower, before or in the middle of baking time.

Nothing says `Purim in Japan` like Cherry Blossom Hamentashen!
Cherry Blossom is the perfect filling for this holiday that falls just before spring, the holiday before the Passover.  Purim is a time to celebration the deliverance of the Jewish people in Persia by Esther`s annulment of the terrible decree set out by Haman (see post below).

Hamentashen are the cookies that are traditional to eat on Purim.  They can be filled with all different kinds of filling, and there are many ideas as to what these little triangular filled pastries mean.  You can read ten of them in an article HERE that offers ten possible meanings.

This year I just couldn`t resist trying my first Cherry Blossoms Hamentashen.
 
 I also made  the classic, prune, which is often made for this Jewish holiday.
Two flavors.  Prune and Cherry Blossom. A fun mix of cultures.  With special meaning for me as they combine the place where I live with the faith that I`m from.



 I have come to also see the cherry blossoms through a Messianic lens, and the pink color of the spring blossoms that burst forth over all Japan has the expectation of Messiah and resurrection.
 Messianic Jewish and Japanese!
However you say it,  Prune and Cherry Blossom Hamentashen say "Purim in Japan!!"

To make Cherry Blossom Hamentashen:

For the dough I started with the recipe from Torey Avey`s Non-dairy Hamentashen recipe.
 I used Natane Oil for the `oil`, which is or is like Canola Oil.
And one sublime Challah and Cherry Blossoms addition:
 Sprinkle cherry blossom flakes into the dough.

For the filling, I used Sakura-an, which is a cherry blossom paste with a white bean base which is used for wa-gashi, Japanese traditional sweets.  I added a teaspoon of the filling into each triangle and the dough wraps around the filling.  You can follow the recipe and photos on how to fold Here.


To make prune Hamentashen:

I used the recipe directly from Tori Avey`s Non-dairy Hamentashen recipe.
With one sublime addition, I sprinkled cherry blossom flakes into the dough so they are
cherry blossom-infused Prune Hamentashen!!  For the filling I used her recipe for delicious Prune Filling HERE.

(You can read about the use of cherry blossom flakes and how they `dissolve` into the dough in THIS recent post on my first Cherry Blossoms Challah!)

Hope everyone had an extra-special Purim and new revelations of some of the treasures that fill the Book of Esther and all the Word of God!!  Blessings and Shalom!!




Subtitle:
Messianic Japan!!
Welcoming Messiah Yeshua to Japan!!
Yeshua, Japan welcomes you!!
Japan leading nations into the Messianic Age as the Revelation of Yeshua comes to be known and spread through out the nation this Cherry Blossoms season!!
The obstacles and principalities of the air  have been trampled and stepped on and no longer have power in Japan in the name of Yeshua!!
Declaration!!! The Island nations receive the Torah of the LORD!! We've been waiting!! Thank you LORD Yeshua!!

xoxo Declared with Love, 
by Shayndel

3 comments:

  1. How wonderful! The hamentashen look very tasty. I guess I could use sour plum filling in a challah or hamentashen for a Taiwan culture infusion! Or maybe sweet red bean, or taro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hamentashen look great! Mine tasted good but the dough came out a bit dry. I used poppy-seed and dried fruit filling. I used a no-sugar recipe, so mine were lightly sweetened with honey. Thanks for the inspiration!

    I wonder what the cherry blossom filling tastes like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sarah, thank you Tzivia!
    Sour plum sounds good! I may try it one day!! I made a red bean Challah for Abraham back in Genesis, and it was very good!! Taro is a little sticky, isn`t it?! Thanks for the fun ideas to think of for a Taiwan infusion.

    Tzivi, I`m sure yours were very tasty with the honey! Hope you will try these at next Purim and let me know how they come out!!

    PS to answer your wonder about the taste, the filling on its own tastes like cherry blossom, and as a filling in the hamentashen, they taste like ....Purim in Japan!!

    ReplyDelete