Thursday, December 14, 2017

Happy Hannukah!

The LORD is my Light and my Salvation.  --Psalm 27:1


On each night of Hannukah, we first light the `Shamash` which is the  candle which is used to light all the others.  On our menorah the Shamash is all the way on the right.  On many menorahs it is in the center.
The second menorah you see in the foreground in the first photo is one I made for our lobby downstairs in the apartment building.  For Hannukah we are to put a menorah where others can see it, by the window or in a public place.  It is like what Yeshua says, not to hide our light but rather to shine our light for all to see.  Wishing you many blessings during these days of increasing light.

"You are the light of the world.  A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a basket.  Instead, they put it on a lampstand so it gives light to all in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before men so they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."   -- Matthew 5:14~16

Blessings and Shalom!

Love,
Shayndel



2 comments:

  1. The shamash on my menorah is in the middle. Your menorah looks kind of special with its stone(?)base and the mini Thora attached.

    I like your festive table. I can see the 'latkes' on the plates. No doughnuts? Well they are fattening and not too healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Duta, as you wrote, yes, usually the shamash is in the middle, but somehow for my first menorah in Japan I chose this one. It's Jerusalem stone! I liked the feel of it and even the solidity, maybe as I was "away" for a long time, when I returned to celebrated Hannukah again something about this one called out to me!! (note; for my whole childhood I celebrated Hannukah, but had a long period of not celebrating it, long story, and just 'returned' in the past few years so this is my second Hannukah as an adult and I still feel like a child when I light the candles and celebrate the feast!!). Oh, and Doughnuts are coming!! I haven"t made them yet, with all the latkes, but stay tuned!! There are still a few nights left!

    ReplyDelete