Friday, February 9, 2018

20 Loaves and 2 fishes!


There`s a boy here who has five barley loaves and two fish...but what`s that for so many?
---John 6:9
Dear readers, thanks to your support and encouragement, joining me for Challah and listening to my Shabbat stories here each week, and joining me in a prayer recently to share challah in my community; and thanks to a kind and generous baker in my neighborhood, this past week God opened a door and gave me an opportunity to bake  20 loaves of Challah to sell at a bread shop in my neighborhood!!

It became a chance to introduce Challah to my neighbors and  to be a part of my community by bringing bread each day in the week to the shop. Having the face to face interaction with people in the neighborhood through sharing of the actual Challah is something I have been longing for as you all know!!

Not only that, but I learned so much from being in the bread shop, getting to know the kind baker, and by baking loaves each day to bring to the shop (I baked them at home, but spent some time each day usually towards the end of the day at the shop).  By the end of the week, my dough became more elastic and easy to work with, and I learned something about `resting` the dough to give it a chance for the fibers to connect to each other, rather than to keep adding flour which I did before, which makes it hard rather than pliant.  It was a great lesson about `rest` which goes with the Shabbat and the `rest` we have in God when we stop all the work of creation for one day in a week!  Even the dough needs to rest and not be constantly worked, kneaded or added to.

Today it is Shabbat and I am at rest, but just wanted to  say thank you for this week you were all part of through your wonderful support and encouragement here on Challah and Cherry Blossoms and through our blogs!  As always lately there is so much to tell!! I will do some of posts to share about the story.

The scripture above makes me think of all our blogs too.  We share what we have, even if it doesn`t seem like much to us, and God brings us those out there to share it with and share His Glory when we just put out something to offer that is from our hearts.  To God be the Glory!

Blessings and Shabbat Shalom!!

Yeshua is the Bread of Life !  (the Hebrew letters embroidered on the white cloth say `Yeshua`, and the yellow letters with the cherry blossoms are from the word SHALOM)
Love,

Shayndel


4 comments:

  1. A wonderful post about how God is opening doors for you to share your faith through the Challah bread. I love how you even learned about "rest" through the baker. Enjoy Shabbat. Shalom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It was a great lesson about `rest`..."

    Hey...wow...yeah!

    So encouraging how this worked out, Shayndel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad and excited by the opportunity given to you to share the challa with others!
    Great point about the rest of the dough! Actually,it's a known fact, both in cooking and baking, that leaving the bowl with ingredients/mixture rest for several hours overnight or during the day - has a great impact on the success of the final result.
    Who knows? maybe you'll get your own challa shop someday! It'll be what we call combining pleasure, tradition, and business.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With thanks to you all! It felt like stories from the blog coming in to life this week, and now I am sharing it in a few posts from life onto the blog, (hope that makes sense what I am wanting to say!!?!) thanks to your encouragement and loving support!! ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete